The MAG range of set-top boxes have become something of the box of choice for IPTV and VoD streaming. Popular models include MAG352, MAG256, MAG254 and MAG250 boxes.
UK ISPs including Virgin Media, BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc. are actively blocking IPTV content on MAG Boxes at specific times of the day/week. This can mean that your all your favourite IPTV channels are unavailable and blacked out on your MAG Box when you most want to watch them.
Connecting your MAG Box to a LibertyShield VPN Router (instead of your ISP Router) will ensure it connects to the internet using an encrypted VPN connection and cannot be logged, throttled or blocked by any ISP.
Here are a few essential tips for MAG Box users who use our VPN Routers to unblock video content:
- Which country should be my VPN Router be set on for my MAG Box? None of our VPN networks can be blocked on MAG Boxes for IPTV, so we always suggest to use the country you are in or the next closest to you. It is a popular misconception for example, that UK users need a non-UK IP address to beat ISP blocks. To change the country on your VPN Router please login at https://www.libertyshield.com/Account/Login and pick the country you wish from the "Payment Wallet" and press "Update". Once updated we recommended rebooting your VPN Router.
- Is your MAG Box connected to the VPN Router? Some customers misunderstand the connectivity and leave their MAG Box connected to their ISP Router (Virgin, BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc). To run a VPN on your MAG then it must be connected to the VPN Router either with an ethernet cable or using the optional MAG WiFi adaptor.
How do I check my MAG Box is connected properly to the VPN? There are 2 common ways to check you can make once the MAG Box is connected to the VPN Router.
- The first option is to go to Menu > Internet > press the keyboard logo on your remote
- Type: “what is my ip”
If it starts with:
- 85.199.XX.XX you are connected to our UK VPN
- 38.101.XX.XX you are connected to our USA VPN
- 109.78.XX.XX you are connected to our Irish VPN
- 91.135.XX.XX you are connected to our Swiss VPN
- 5.175.XX.XX you are connected to our German VPN
- 181.199.XX.XX you are connected to our Spanish VPN
- 5.39.XX.XX you are connected to our French VPN
- 199.66.XX.XX you are connected to our Canadian VPN
- The second way is to load the Internet option on your MAG Box. It should connect to Google by default. Then visit https://www.iplocation.net and check that your ISP is no longer listed as your own ISP; for example Virgin Media, BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc should not show and instead you will see one of our ISPs (e.g. Electronic Communities, Cogent, Ghostnet etc).
- My IPTV service is still not working, what else could be wrong? It may be worth contacting your provider and advising them you are using a VPN, some require registration of VPN based IP addresses. Note that if you are configured correctly and your IPTV is not working then it could be that the IPTV is having server or broadcast issues on their side.
- Why are my MAG speed test results are much slower than my ISP speed? The in-built speed test tool on some devices including MAG Boxes, are known to be very unreliable in measuring the download speed being supplied to the device. To test the speed you are getting from your VPN Router we suggest using http://www.fast.com - either from a PC or Mac (wired to the VPN Router), or from a computer, phone or tablet (WiFi to the VPN Router). Please click here for our general guide to speed issues with your VPN Router.